So long!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

So long!

Post by Royas »

I haven't made a post in awhile. My interest in the Vic-20 and Commodore from its rebirth around winter time through now has plummeted to the ground.

I recently sold the VIC-20 I bought, and my browsing of various Commodore outlets has dropped to nearly nothing.

The reason is (not to name any names, but I could if everyone was really that interested..):

It is tiresome, annoying, and downright idiotic to come to forums, mailing lists, and chat rooms only to see a handful of grown men bad mouthing each other, instigating problems, and more or less acting like 5 year olds. If this was all in person I wouldn't be surprised if there were thumbtacks left on chairs. The stories I have heard only add to this.

Those of you who are guilty ought to be ashamed really. All this animosity does is drive everything into the ground and explains why some other computer communities with differing members all have the same comments about the Commodore: "great computer, awful community".

What does anyone have to gain out of all the petty name calling, needless insults and sarcasm, and battles of wits? Sometimes it even appears to be some sort of attempt to prove who's smarter than who. Who cares? This is all supposed to be about a common interest... not taking sides, picking on people, and acting like a bunch of jerks. Lighten up, kick back, and get off your high horses. We are all a bunch of dorks with a hobby revolving around 25+ year old computers. Being the most powerful dork still makes you a dork. :roll:

That all being said, I don't intend to post very much here anymore, and am extremely thankful that I only browsed other Commodore related forums and never branched out into the C64 or Amiga. My wallet appreciates this greatly. I just wonder how many others have been driven out for the same reason. I imagine there were those before me, and there will be more after me.

Farewell. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks again to those who really wrecked everything. Maybe one day you'll all realize what a waste these actions are, and apologize.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I have to say that I totally disagree with this. Apart from the newly weds in the moderation thread, I've found Denial to be a very friendly and welcoming community. All the members I've spoken with have been tremendously helpful and informative. There's the odd bit of mild teasing, but it's all in good nature.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Too bad to see you go, Royas... but not sure why you would let other people's arguments get you down. I don't see that you ever got involved in them, and you can always just not read posts from people you don't like.

The forum seems to me to be something of an a la carte experience. Topics are all categorized by names, we can read or not read those topics at will. For example, I'm sure Centallica's a nice guy but I have no interest in reading about his trip to Europe and so I do not.

No offense. If you still want to go for whatever reason, then fare thee well. Getting miffed about other people's little tiffs just doesn't seem like a great reason, in my opinion.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

We live in a time of lawsuits and political correctness. People get their fragile feelings hurt and have to trod off for a while to recoup.... it happens. It would not have happened 50 years ago, but in todays society it is what people do.
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Maybe we should start a thread of lawsuits and who has started them. :wink:

What ever happened to the "friendly computer"?

I guess some the users are just not that friendly (although they claim to be).
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

I normally work around the flame wars and don't read them, too much like fighting parents. And I'm too old to listen to parents arguing anymore. Yet I still love them, couldn't you continue to love the forum too ? :)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Can't say I blame you, Royas. It gets pretty bad in a community when physical violence is threatened to a member of the community.

http://www.archivum.info/comp.sys.cbm/2 ... 00593.html

Clearly, the issues you see here are not isolated to these forums; they exist everywhere where a certain individual participates.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Let's not go down that road. This is exactly the kind of shit-stirring the OP is talking about. I noticed that the thread is about eighteen months old. Let's keep it that way.

Sorry my mild-mannered jest about your little courtship has become so inflammatory. I'll not bring it up in future.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

But Paul has turned over a new leaf and would NEVER try to stir the pot. And for the record, if you STOLE something from me and I knew about it, I would visit you and "fix" the problem. Context and the whole story are clearly not Pauls forte, he wants to twist things around and try to look better than everyone else.

If you want to stir the pot, did you know Paul contacted where he thought I worked in order to attempt to get me fired? For someone who says I am obsessed, he certainly expends a terrible amount of energy on me. (also, the people in question laughed and laughed at his emails)
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

dragos wrote:If you want to stir the pot, did you know Paul contacted where he thought I worked in order to attempt to get me fired?
Sounds like a docuhe bag with too much spare time. :roll:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

saehn wrote:The forum seems to me to be something of an a la carte experience. Topics are all categorized by names, we can read or not read those topics at will. For example, I'm sure Centallica's a nice guy but I have no interest in reading about his trip to Europe and so I do not.
That makes two of us, I don't like reading about my trip to Europe either :lol:

It got split from another thread as I'm notorious for getting things off topic in threads :oops:

But if it creates a community through sharing and conversation, I'm all for it!!

It baffles me though that this thread is about someone leaving Denial because of all the bantering and the guy that does all the bantering is bantering within this thread also :lol:
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

hrm, not sure if thats directed at me, but, as I have said before, anyplace he blabs about me WILL get a response, especially if he is full of shit...
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

saehn wrote:For example, I'm sure Centallica's a nice guy but I have no interest in reading about his trip to Europe and so I do not.
He's hell on wheels once you get to know him. :)

OT mushy crap: His friendship is one of the truly rewarding things that have come out of my involvement with Denial.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

6502dude wrote:Maybe we should start a thread of lawsuits and who has started them. :wink:

What ever happened to the "friendly computer"?

I guess some the users are just not that friendly (although they claim to be).
FWIW, I litigate when something has been stolen from me. I find it's much more effective than threatening physical violence, as well as much more satisfying. 8)
English Invader wrote:Let's not go down that road. This is exactly the kind of shit-stirring the OP is talking about. I noticed that the thread is about eighteen months old. Let's keep it that way.

Sorry my mild-mannered jest about your little courtship has become so inflammatory. I'll not bring it up in future.
It simply serves to illustrate a long-standing pattern; nothing more, nothing less.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Enough already! Take it to PM or e-mail. Locked.