Easy1541 - SEQ file problem.

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

Easy1541 - SEQ file problem.

Post by Boray »

PRG files has always worked fine, but when I tried to copy a SEQ file from the 1541 to the Amiga, then nothing happens, so I had to make a whole .D64 and then extract the files.... Any idea on how to do it simpler? (Other than using some disk tool on the c64 to change the file type).

Carlsson, You are using the Easy1541 cable and some other software, right? Ever had any problems with SEQ files with that software?

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Actually, I have never tried to transfer SEQ or USR files (not to mention other odd formats). When I get home, I can test the IEC command tool:

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/cbm/crossplatfor ... ga/iec.lzh

Please note though that compard to Easy1541, you need an enhanced cable with two diodes, one each on the shared lines (DATA IN/OUT etc).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You need to specify the file type; P (program), S (sequential) or U (user):

RAM> iec load FILE file.seq

Drive spins up, error lamp flashing, Amiga is busy waiting (hangs). This is one of the biggest drawbacks with this software; if anything goes wrong on the drive side, you're stuck. Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga to reset computer and disk drive (!)

RAM> iec load FILE,S file.seq (yes, comma S - not a dot)

It works fine, and the file is stored on RAM. When saving it back to floppy, use ,S again. Actually I believe you can use this approach from Basic too to load a sequential file like a program, but of course the first two bytes of data would be treated like the load address.

I know there is some difference between SEQ and USR, but I never understood exactly what, even after reading the disk drive manual. On the other side, I think I never saw an USR file.
Anders Carlsson

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks! Does it load faster than normal 1541 speed with that cable? Or why the diods?

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

carlsson wrote:I know there is some difference between SEQ and USR, but I never understood exactly what, even after reading the disk drive manual. On the other side, I think I never saw an USR file.
USR files could be loaded directly in the RAM of the disc drive, and executed there. I once saw a program *) for the 1541, that implemented sub-directories this way.

For the 1581 there is even provision for a specially named USR file to be loaded at start-up. See: http://www.gis.net/~sunfish/tcr/cbm/bootsect.html

Michael

*) Edit: I found CHDIRSYS 3.1 in the FUNET ftp-archive. Both SFX and the unpacked program will only run on a C=64 - this amounts to creating the system on disc, creating and deleting sub-directories. The chdir command is executed within the drive (as said above), so no problems for the VIC.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think the diodes are there to prevent conflict between incoming and outgoing data. Maybe it is solved by software in other programs, but even the famous X*1541 cables (except for X1541 itself) uses diodes or transistor bridges. No speed difference.

Rather weird idea with virtual subdirectories, but I see the point.
Anders Carlsson