New Moderators

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

New Moderators

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been getting so many PMs about the fighting of late. Denial's trademark was the friendly atmosphere. I've decided to ask for volunteer MODs. If you have the time and interest, I would like to put at least two MODs per section (checks and balance). Too much burden is falling on a few members to keep the peace.

If we have a few applicants, we could have a mini-election to make sure members feel their best interests are considered.

Just post what section you are willing to mod, and we will have a civil discussion about it. Hopefully, peace will return.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
JoshuaHorn
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by JoshuaHorn »

I havent been here that long, and I'm a really nice guy. I'd be willing to moderate any forum you want to put me on. I never really was one for liking forum arguing.
Joshua Horn
--
"Just because YOU think it's old, does not me it's useless to ME!" -- Joshua Horn
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

We need to have some sort of rule, whereby if you moderate a forum, you shouldn't take part any feuds in that forum. That has been the problem in the past with the administrator roles. Some administrators won't lock a thread because he/she is one of the people taking part in the fighting.

Perhaps Jeff, if you made a "10 commandments" list and made it "sticky" about what a moderator/administrator is obligated to do when a thread gets out of control, it would be helpful. That way, if a moderator administrator locks a thread, he can't be blamed for doing it for arbitrary reasons. Instead, he can point to the "Denial 10 commandments" and say "This thread is locked because it violates rule #7 of the Denial forum standards" etc.

The 10 commandments will be there to back him/her up.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

1. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors VIC-20.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I had planned on putting together a firm set of rules. I don't have the time just yet, but candidates are welcome to put their names in the hat now. You could even nominate someone if you'd like.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Re: New Moderators

Post by RobertBe »

Jeff-20 wrote:Hopefully, peace will return.
Amen to that, Jeff.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
CommVEx v5 info - http://www.commodore.ca/forum and click on ComVEX
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

ral-clan wrote: Perhaps Jeff, if you made a "10 commandments" list and made it "sticky" about what a moderator/administrator is obligated to do when a thread gets out of control, it would be helpful. That way, if a moderator administrator locks a thread, he can't be blamed for doing it for arbitrary reasons. Instead, he can point to the "Denial 10 commandments" and say "This thread is locked because it violates rule #7 of the Denial forum standards" etc.
I agree with rai-clan. The 10 commandments (or however many are necessary) should not only tell about what a moderator/administrator must do in such a situation, but it should also enumerate the conduct and responsibilities of the moderator/administrator.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
CommVEx v5 info - http://www.commodore.ca/forum and click on ComVEX
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Yes, some more rules seem to be a good idea to me, too.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

New mods and strict rules are a good idea, although to keep focused on the VIC (and on retrocomputing in general) without annoying fights, I'd suggest as a first move to eliminate the "Off Topic" section.
Also, the most important rules should be: no politics, no religion, no name calling, no personal attacks. There are so many forums dedicated to these issues out there!
Just a suggestion - and BTW, I'm not a candidate mod, there's too much to read and English is not my first language. :P
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

orion70 wrote: Just a suggestion - and BTW, I'm not a candidate mod, there's too much to read and English is not my first language. :P
The international section needs mods too.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Jeff-20 wrote:The international section needs mods too.
OK I'm in for the International section - hope to see few messages in German and Chinese, but I can read French. :D
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I nominate Eslapion for the international section (he's bilingual) and hardware, and Robert Bernardo for whatever he wishes to moderate (seeing as he's a regular who has never attacked anyone).
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

If I can help moderate the Programmers forum, I'd be glad to. Let me know.

Jeff, if you want to give my spot to MRaider for the Programming section, I am cool with that.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

DigitalQuirk wrote:...a regular who has never attacked anyone
This should be held valid as a rule to choose mods.