Where is Everyone From?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Disc Master I
Vic 20 Amateur

Where is Everyone From?

Post by Disc Master I »

Anyone here from the Northeast United States? I'm from Yonkers, NY the next biggest city directly north of the Bronx. Anyhow, if anyone here is also residing in the NE US, let me know. There is a Classic Gaming Convention taking place on September 11th in Reading, PA. A friend and I have reserved 3 - 6 foot long tables and will have a pretty darn big Commodore exhibit where visitors can play games on the real Commodore computers and even sit about and chat about our Commies and watch a few DVDs with C64/128, Amiga and other related Commodore commercials such as in store demonstration type videos. We will have the Vic-20, Plus/4, C64, C64c, SX-64, C128, 128D, C65, Amiga 500, Amiga 1000, Amiga 2000 and any other Commodore equipment we pick up between now and September 11th. :) Anyhow, if any of you are interested, go to the following link to learn about the ECGE (East Coast Gaming Expo) http://www.ecgx.com/

See ya
John
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Chicago, my home town, has a pretty good collector scene. Sean Kelly throws an annual trade party where about 20 to 30 collectors get together. He now owns a game shop so I hope it happens more often. I am the only VIC collector to go there, so I always get first dibs at vic items. The only problem is that no one seems to pick them up at thrift shops etc. because they forget that there's interest!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yesterday, I visited the local (< 2 km away) flea market, which is open all week but I almost never go there. Anyway, I didn't find anything remotely VIC related - the closest probably was two Super Mario Bros cartridges for the NES and a first generation Gameboy.

However, if I was scouting for a few years old PC hardware, either complete or in parts, I could have found some stuff. One elderly woman was having a whole shelf of ATX generation motherboards of various designs and something that looked like one half of a laptop motherboard ripped out of its case. I never asked for price, so I don't know if it had been a good deal.

As someone else expressed, most stuff either goes on eBay or other auction sites, is forgotten in a closet or thrown away. Sometimes one can see a few C64 or Spectrum tapes on a flea market, but they're getting scarce too. I believe I need a time machine to move me 15 years or more back in time to have a good shot at getting something local out of those. Maybe I'll try again another weekend.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Right on, the time machine topic again!

I would love to know how many collectors have wished for such a thing!

Chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

as for the time machine.

I had found tons of great stuff and either sold it on ebay or traded it away before I realized I wanted it! I wish I could go back just to keep what I already had!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

i'm in the midwest - Chicago isn't that far. I do all my shopping on eBay. But it would be fun to attend that event... I don't know anyone personally outside the net that is remotely into the VIC. But the kids at the club dig the bass I can get out of it.
Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

I'm in Essex, England. I'm the only Vic fan I know!
VC-20
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by VC-20 »

Hello to you all,

first: my english is extremly bad............ :oops:

My name is Uwe and i´m coming from germany.
I am a collector of VC-20/VIC-20 and C-64/Amiga too since 1982.
It´s a nice forum here, a few friends of mine maybe will register too.

CU,

Uwe
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Ah, forgot to answer this thread when I signed up. I'm from Mölndal, a suburb (technically a town) just south of Göteborg (Gothenburg) on the beautiful Swedish west coast.

I used to have a VIC in the early eighties before I bought a C64. Since a couple of years I am the happy owner of two VICs again.

I see myself more as a user than a collector. Never saw the point in collecting stuff for collecting's sake. I have a few C64s, C128s, Plus/4s, and VIC20s, and I use them all, both for playing games and programming. The only reason I keep several of each is so that I have spare parts when they break down.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

From Chattanooga, TN

Post by cbmeeks »

First time poster here.

I wished I could find some people in the SE, USA that are into Vic, Atari, etc.

I first bought a Vic-20 off of eBay a few years ago from a man in Nova Scotia.

It came in a box with ELEVEN KEYS broken off. Plus, it was FILTHY. I email the guy and he said it "must have happened during shipping" Well, there were TWO keys floating in the box which meant he shipped it out with at least nine keys missing. What a jip.

A month ago, I bought another Vic-20 from eBay. This one was PERFECT. PERFECT I tell you. No yellowing, scratches anything! The ONLY thing was there was a screw rattleing aroung in the case so I opened it and removed the screw. Later found out that screw held part of the MB down where you plug in a cartridge. Well, it's still ok...and I didn't want to take it apart again for that one screw so I left it out. It works perfect! I just need a video cable for it now.

I am so happy I finally got me a working Vic-20. Oh, and it had the ORIGINAL warrenty card, user manual, and some Commodore posters all in PEFECT condition. Plus, it had the original box that only had a few scuffs on it. I paid like $20 for it plus shipping.

Money well spent.

-cbmeeks
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

20 dollars!!! This hobby shure is an inexpensive one! ;) I'm quite new here too (two weeks), but welcome anyway! ;)

/Anders
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Finland :D

I have many intresting Swedish Vic20 books.. If any Swedish Vic20 user is intrested of trade.. 8)