Newbie to the forum ...

Discuss anything related to the VIC
martin_f
Vic 20 Amateur

Newbie to the forum ...

Post by martin_f »

Howdy gang, just discovered this forum, thought I would join up, see what is going on.

I see some of the familiar faces from comp.sys.cbm are kicking around here. Good to see. I haven't been around comp.sys.cbm much lately as we have no news access from my current job (and the delay of google news drives me nuts), hence this forum sounds like a marvellous idea.

Quick intro:

Living in Sydney, Australia (though born in the UK, left there in '81).

Got my first vic back in 1984 (possibly a bit late, but anyway, the folks couldn't afford a C64 ... at the end of the day, I am glad !).

Mostly used it for playing games, but did a fair amount of programming in basic on it. Also came up with some pokes for games for infinite lives etc, and had them published by C&VG magazine in the UK.

Sold this VIC-20 back in 1986 (sacralidge (sp ?) I know) to get an Apple II, as thats what my school had.

More recently (after using emu's for many years) decided to get back into the hardware scene, and bought numerous bits and bobs off ebay, people I met on comp.sys.cbm etc. So I have a tidy collection of vic gear at the moment, including numerous aussie only releases of some games that I converted to TAP and provided to Tim Denning (arma) for his collection. Speaking of Tim, does anyone know where he got to ? Does he have a new site (I have some new stuff I need to convert for him).

A year or so ago I started looking into doing some ML programming, writing a game for the vic, but it never eventuated. I ended up spending most of my spare time working on my mame CAB, but thats at a reasonably stable state right now, so I am keen to get back into the ML programming on the vic (one of these days I will enter the mini-game comp).

My true passion with regards to retro machines is certainly the vic-20, although I do have numerous other machines, the vic is certainly my fave, possibly because it was my first computer.

So there you go. Hopefully I can contribute something usefull to this forum.

Are there any other aussies here ?

Cheers

Martin
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i think you are going to love it here!

pretty active forum, and so far, everybody is friendly.

can't wait to play some of your games ;)

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

welcome!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

hi martin, another aussie here. Ballarat Vic.

matt :)
Schema
factor

Re: Newbie to the forum ...

Post by Schema »

martin_f wrote:converted to TAP and provided to Tim Denning (arma) for his collection. Speaking of Tim, does anyone know where he got to ? Does he have a new site (I have some new stuff I need to convert for him).
Hey - I'm Leif from comp.sys.cbm .

Arma has disappeared which is quite frustrating - I've emailed him several times, offering to host his TAP archive. He replied for a while, but then never heard from him again.
martin_f
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by martin_f »

ravenxau, good to see another aussie ! I suspect there are a few vic users in melbourne (or atleast ex-users). I bumped into a few on ebay buying some bits and bobs.

Schema, yeah bumber about arma. He started something really good back then, collating everyones tapes into TAP files. I know there were some games on his site that I hadn't previously found anywhere else, plus being in TAP format, the original state was preserved.

Did anybody get a copy of his full collection prior to the site goind down ?

Cheers

Martin
martin_f
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by martin_f »

Well thats a good sign, my email to arma didn't bounce ... now to wait for a reply.

Cheers

Martin