terminal porgrams

Discuss anything related to the VIC
vic user
VicGyver

terminal porgrams

Post by vic user »

I would like to have a terminal program for the vic 20, that uses the hayes AT command set.

does anyone know of one?

if it had xmodem transfer capability, that would be great.

i managed to hook up a 64 to a mac SE30 and my pc, using modems and a phone cord directly to each other, (no actual dialing) and have been playing around tranferring files, chatting, and such.

would sure be nice to do this with the vic 20 as well, and then perhaps use this method as a poor man's way of transferring files.

chris
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

well, i managed to actually download a vic 20 program off the internet, and eventually get it on a real vic, without using an x1541 cable and all that jazz.

i used Boray's 'omegan-t' program as a test, since it was the first one i could download with win95, and not be saved as an html file.

i downloaded it to my pc, then connected my pc to a commodore 64 using a phone cord and modems, and then sent the file to the 64 via xmodem, and saved it to floppy.

then grabbed the floppy and loaded it up to my vic, and played the game!

thank god for AT commands to allow connections without an active phone line ;)

one hell of a long process though :)

now you can see why i would like to have a good terminal program for the vic 20, so i can bypass the 64 entirely.

still, no where near as efficient as an x1541 cable and all that, but certainly cheap!

if i can't find a program that allows for hayes AT commands or xmodem downloads or similar protocols for the vic, then i am thinking of having a 64 run a BBS in my house, and my computers can 'dial' in to the 64, and i can go from there. i don't know if any of the BBS programs i have, will work with having no real phone signal, but only time will tell.

would be nice to hook up others to this local BBS, like my mac's and my trs80 model 4 as well

lots to learn still

chris

p.s. man boray, what an wicked title screen!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

This is really interesting. I never even thought of trying that. I came up with an idea for a really cool modem-based multi-player vic game, but I thought, "who would play it?" I didn't think anyone actually used a modem with the vic.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Jeff-20 wrote:This is really interesting. I never even thought of trying that. I came up with an idea for a really cool modem-based multi-player vic game, but I thought, "who would play it?" I didn't think anyone actually used a modem with the vic.
I assume everyone knows about my Telnet BBS project?
http://home.ica.net/~leifb/bbs/

If not, this lets you use a PC program to "fool" the 64 (and it also works perfectly well with a VIC) into thinking it's connected to a modem. Except, it uses the Internet instead so you don't have long distance charges. All you need for the VIC is an RS-232 interface.

This should work for multiplayer "modem" games too! So Jeff, I'd be interested in playing this game if you ever write it :wink:
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

maybe this thread will get you thinking about that multi player game again :)

i hope i get some time tonight, to screw around with the BBS programs i have, for the 64.

it's been ages and ages since i played aroudn with one.

i also have to do some searching for info on binary transfers over a modem, with a vic 20.

in the end, it would be neat to have a 64 run a 'local' BBS in my house, and use it as a file transfer storage space for all the other computers.

chris